July 31, 2021

Man Descends From Telecoms Mast 24 Hours After He Climbed And Threatened Not To Descend Until President Buhari Resigns Because Nigerians Are Suffering

A man climbed a telecommunications mast in Abuja and refused to descend until President Buhari resigns as the president of Nigeria. He has now descended 24 hours after his protest began and spoke to journalists, explaining the reason for his action. The man, who gave his name as Nura Ilyasu, climbed a mast belonging to Airtel Nigeria, located few metres away from the presidential villa and Lungi Army Barracks, on Wednesday. He came down from the mast at about 11:24am today, 24 hours after the protest began.

Security operatives, who had been communicating with him via his mobile phone, had tried to talk him into coming down from the mast but he declined. He eventually agreed to descend only after security operatives acceded to his request that he must address the press upon his descent.


Speaking to the press after descending, Ilyasu said he climbed the mast to protest the economic hardship in the country and added that President Muhammadu Buhari does not deserve another four years in office.

He said;

My name is Nura Ilyasu. I am 28 years old. What I did is within the purview of the law. My human right is to protest peacefully and I never threatened my life or any other person.

What we are going through in this country is not from God. Some microscopic-view individuals hijacked all that God endowed Nigeria with for decent life, and we can’t continue like this. I climbed up for seven days hunger strike to protest the incompetence and cluelessness, to protest presidential impunity and general docility displayed by the masses. We can’t continue like this.

Other competent candidates are there; even Saraki, Atiku, Kwankwaso, Tambuwal, Dankwambo and others. At least one of these [men] will make a good President. I don’t believe General Buhari deserves another four-year term in Nigeria because the pervasive hunger and poverty in Nigeria is inexplicable.

I don’t have mental disorder as being insinuated by some people.” Ilyasu added that he is mentally stable, as opposed to speculations being made about his mental health. He said he came down because some lawyers spoke to him while he was on the mast. After the interview with the press, Ilyasu was taken away by security operatives.

Related Posts