Iin order to arrest the increasing cases of cybercrimes and boost cyber security in the country, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), has instituted Cyber Security Incidence Response Team (CSIRT), a proactive response mechanism against incidence of internet threats.
Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Prof. Umar Danbatta announced this Thursday while speaking at the Annual Cyber Security Conference organised by the NCC at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja.
The EVC stated that in addressing cybercrimes and boosting cyber security, technical measures and appropriate legal instruments must be put in place to enhance the resilience and integrity of ICT infrastructure and also to safeguard our activities in the cyberspace.
He said the maiden annual cyber security summit is in recognition of the importance and centrality of collaborative efforts in the advancement of cyber security measures to provide precautions and protection of critical communications Infrastructure.
According to Danbatta, “the event was designed to provide a platform for discussion on developing a joint coordination for incidence response for the communication industry, introducing cyber insurance, bridging the cyber workforce gap, strengthening national cooperation, exchange of information, and development of comprehensive strategies that will address the cyber security challenges confronting the communications industry in Nigeria.”
While restating the Commission’s efforts towards ensuring that the Internet is safer to use, Danbatta emphasized the role of education to mitigate the negative impacts of cybercrime. The EVC highlighted the measures being taken by the Commission as follows:
– Collaboration with relevant stakeholders to embark on a nationwide cyber security awareness.
– Establishmet of a Cyber Security Incidence Response Team (CSIRT) Centre.
– Collaboration with relevant security agencies in the development of the National Cyber Security Policy;
READ ALSO NCC’s milestones since 2015(4): Sheer Commitment to ICT Innovations in Telecoms Industry
– Development of Technical Framework for the Use of Social Media Network in Nigeria.
– Development of contents for consumer awareness and collaboration with stakeholders on the development of Data Privacy and Protection Act; and
– Carrying out a comprehensive risk and vulnerability assessment of the communications infrastructure and the industry.
The EVC also informed the audience at the conference that the Commission will soon commence a multi-stakeholder process for the development of an Industry Wide Obligation of Minimum Cyber Security Provisions which will apply to all operators.