By Daniel Kolawole/TnTv Network
The Computer Professionals Registration Council of Nigeria (CPN) has sent a communique to the Nigeria Communications Commission, NCC after its 2020 virtual information technology assembly held on Thursday, July 9, 2020.
The theme for this year 2020 Assembly was tagged “Adoption Of 5G in Nigeria: The Technological and Regulatory Challenges”.
The gathering of the CPN Information Technology Professionals’ Assembly is an annual event that sees the coming together of Information Technology practitioners in Nigeria and Diaspora, having the objective of discussing and making strategies on developing issues in Information Technology so as to proffer informed decisions that will have a positive impact on the IT industry and Nigeria at large.
With all the misconceptions and misinterpretations around 5G, the theme of the Assembly was carefully selected to address the pertinent issues on adoption and deployment of 5G network in Nigeria.
In a keynote address delivered by the General Manager, Network Services at MTN Nigeria, Engr. Deus Uche Osuji, a recommendation of the summary of the communique was presented during the virtual assembly:
Below are Key Points highlighted in the communique…
- 5G deployment in Nigeria has the capacity to fast track the country’s economic growth and moving us to a fully digital economy.
- 5G deployment in the country comes with many advantages, some of which include, smoother user experience, faster internet connection and a massive deployment of IT to drive the development of industries.
- The adoption of 5G network to Government at all levels is now recommended by CPN, because Nigeria will obtain a massive socio-economic benefit from commercial deployment of the 5G networks. The entire spectrum of Nigeria’s socio-economic ecosystem will enjoy a boost as the new networks will come with great potentials.
- Adopting 5G network in Nigeria will drive a digital transformation in the areas of efficiency in medicine, smart city and transportation as well as automation as it concerns our appliances and devices with respect to Internet of Things (IoT).
- Nigeria will be an immense beneficiary from the adoption of 5G in relation to high capacity, faster speed and high latency. This will transform business and consumer experiences as the difference between all other existing generations of technologies such as 2G, 3G and 4G depends on speed and data capacity.
- There is a need for the Federal Government to intensify its efforts in addressing the power challenges in the country because its availability will enable the citizenry to enjoy the benefits of 5G network and derive huge socio-economic benefits from commercial deployment of the 5G networks.
- In order for Nigerian citizens to benefit from the 5G network, the Federal Government is urged to make sure the cost of 5G compatible devices is affordable.
- IT and Telecommunications should be declared by the Federal Government of Nigeria as critical national infrastructure to facilitate the success of the national broadband strategy.
- At various levels, the Government should endeavour to intensify their efforts in embracing IT together with its attendant potentials of facilitating governance and eradicating corruption in Nigeria.
- Complete adoption of IT and also a migration of Government operations from manual to digital will make the country to conform with the benchmark of Government operations in the 21st century
The Council has delivered on its mandate to convoke a world-class Virtual IT Professionals’ Assembly worthy of emulation by other Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).
At the end of the 2020 Virtual Information Technology Assembly/Annual General Meeting, members of the profession present during the meeting showered accolades and encomium on the President/Chairman-in-Council and all members of CPN Council for holding a successful assembly despite the challenges posed by the Corona Virus pandemic.