November 17, 2019
A newborn baby almost died after his older brother fed him three metal screws while the pair were left unattended.
The two boys had been left at home by their mother, who had expected her three-year-old son to look after his younger brother, who was only 37 days old.
But when she returned, she found the baby foaming at the mouth and immediately rushed him to hospital on Tuesday.
However, due to the procedure of removing the screws being too risky, the hospital refused to carry it out.
So he was transferred to the Zhengzhou Children’s Hospital in Central China’s Henan Province, where a small team of experts were assembled for the job.
Following an X-ray, head of gastroenterology Dr Li Xiaoqin found three large screws stuck in the baby’s stomach and prepared the baby for an endoscopy to remove the objects.
They used a gastroscope and a magnet to retrieve the three screws, which were still in the boy’s stomach.
Doctor Li said: ‘Even newborns can have endoscopies, but we wouldn’t have been able to retrieve the screws using the thinnest instrument.
‘We had to use the 7.5-millimetre (0.3-inch) gastroscope, which we feared would be too thick for the baby.
‘It was of course a risk, but we decided it was better than surgery.’
The medic said the screws had fortunately not harmed the boy’s digestive tract.
He also advised the mother not to rely on leaving her young children alone together.
He said: ‘Children can easily make wrong decision without knowing the risks.’
The baby is now recovering from operation.

Related Posts